The commuter suburb Cheam, now in the London Borough of Sutton, England, is 10.9 miles southwest of Charing Cross station in London. It splits into North Cheam, Cheam Village and South Cheam. Cheam Village holds the listed buildings Lumley Chapel and the 16th-century Whitehall. The Roman road of Stane Street composes part of the boundary of Cheam.
Residents of Cheam were initially known as “Cheamonians”. The first census, Records of Cheam Charter Fair, dates back to the early 1800s when a fairground was a popular market component.
The prestigious Cheam School originated in Whitehall in 1645. It later occupied Tabor Court from 1719 until 1934, when the school moved to Berkshire. Prince Philip attended the school in Cheam in the years immediately preceding its move.
Cheam Village is located on the central crossroads of Sutton, North Cheam, South Cheam and Ewell. It has a conservation area and several historic structures dating back many centuries. Entailing; Nonsuch Mansion, the gabled Whitehall and Lumley Chapel, and a former Georgian rectory.
Cheam Village is a part of Cheam. Cheam Village Conservation Area was designated in 1970. It covered historic parkland, the housing of varying styles and ages and a mock Tudor shopping area with timber detailing and leaded lights.